Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Crash-landed feelings of youth





I was crazy enough to save a bunch of love letters I had for a looong time; some, like the one you can see that says "She's like a mega babe", that was written 15 years ago. I thought about throwing them all in a bonfire one summer, but then stopped myself in a moment of dreamy-egoic past-romantical recollection.

Earlier this year, I made this skirt. I consulted my textile art toolbelt and naturally dyed silk hankies, roving and paper; fusing them all together and attaching them to a tutu, to which I also attached extra hand-dyed tulle. Throughout the whole process, and now too, I explore(d) my relationship to love and romance.

This garment of silk-fused prettiness features and relies on the delicate nature of a love letter, and like the delicate hearts of the boys who wrote them, each fragment is stained a different shade of pink (cochineal). Pink, magenta, dusty rose… pretty, flowery, feminine and passionate; infatuated, but not really Love in all its true redness.

This pretty pink skirt contains crash-landed feelings of youth. And down the road...a crimson counterpart?



If you'd like to see this project up close, check it out on display at CityScape Community Art Space until June 5th.

<< To see the article that goes with this photo, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment